On Tuesday the 11th of September 5/6A went to Phillip Island for an environmental acknowledgement tour. The trip there took around 2 hours and I sat next to Lachlan and Charntae on the way.


The first thing we did after we got off the bus was meet the rangers; Ranger Graham and Ranger Helen! Soon after we had our snack and after I had finished that our class saw a penguin statue made out of colour co-ordinated rubbish that was found on the beach.


Soon enough we found ourselves in a meet up cave room were we had a talk about sustainability, biodiversity, climate and what we can do to help our environment and save the animals.


After a while of talking we walked outside and split into two groups. I was in Mr Hoppen and Ranger Graham’s group. We walked up near Ranger Graham’s car and he pulled out a box of bright orange vests. We had to put them on so we could cross the road and be seen as we did it. I got to carry twice, a real penguin that had passed away and was now stuffed!


When we reached our destination in the bush we each sat on logs to listen to what Ranger Graham had to say. He was talking about how penguins adjust to Phillip Island and where they go when they are not at Phillip Island. The rangers find out by putting a tracking device on top of the penguin. We also got to scan a microchip in a penguin teddy to see what it was like for a real penguin and we got to weigh a teddy penguin too. Ranger Graham also explained how the penguins wear jumpers if there is any type of oil on them so the oil doesn’t spread.

Fun fact: penguins have three eye lids on each eye. We have only two. Their third eyelid is for them so they can see under water clearly. It’s like when we put on goggles.


Next up after we had come out of the bush we went into a room in the main building and there were little holes to look through so u could see real penguins sitting on their eggs. It was adorable.


Later on we went to the seal part of Phillip Island. Its nickname was The Nobbies because one of the giant rocks looked like a hat which was called a Nobbie in the olden days. Before we walked down a giant pier we had a talk about how the seals live and survive and how the seals are trained.

Afterwards we had a walk on the pier and had a really pretty vision of nearby beach. I loved the white colour of the waves which were white and looked foamy. On the way back from the long pier we found broken into penguin eggs. Charntae and I got to hold them but Charntae’s bag hit her egg and it broke.


Last of all we talked about what gets trapped in a seals body and what things we do and can do in our school to improve the rubbish being thrown into the oceans.


Thank you to Phillip Island and all the rangers that showed us around and to Mr Hoppen for helping organise it, getting us ready and taking us.

Thank you, Dakota


On the 11th of September 5/6A went on a free excursion to Phillip Island. When we got to school we had to get our names ticked off and suddenly the bus pulled up so we hopped on the bus at 9:00 and started our hour and a half trip to Phillip Island Nature Park.


Firstly when we arrived at Phillip Island, we walked down to the penguin parade to have a snack. After we had snack we had a brief talk to the Helen and Graham, the rangers and what they do at the park, how to protect it from predators, and about biodiversity. Then we all walked down to the penguin lookout. The penguin lookout is a massive hill filled with penguin boxes and a beach. We were all stunned, but we all had to put our bags down and to split up into our groups. I was in Helen’s group.


Helen and Graham talked about what courses they did to become a ranger at Phillip Island. We walked half way down the board walk and found a penguin in its box, and we played a game. For every penguin we found we got five points. Then we continued our walk to Helen’s ranger car to get high visual vests, because we were going into a restricted area to get taught how to hold, weigh, and microchip and a penguin for research which helps the little penguins. After that we walked back to Helen’s car to put back the high visual vests and slowly and silently walked past another group, went into a visitors centre to stop for a toilet break, and then hopped back on the bus to go to the Nobbies.


When we got to the Nobbies we flew off the bus and split up into our groups again. Helen’s group went upstairs to talk about how seals were dying and how in the 1800s they were using them for their blubber, for oil lamps, and how if that wasn’t illegal now seals would be extinct. But luckily they’re not, so then we all went outside to walk down to the blowhole, and walked back to the Centre to meet up with Graham’s group. We talked about how our school could do things to help the environment, and then we all hopped on the bus to go home. By Lachlan