School councils play a key role in Victorian government schools. A school council develops a vision for the school in collaboration with all members of the school community and is actively involved in the development of and endorses the school's strategic plan.
SUBCOMMITTEES OF SCHOOL COUNCIL
Sub-committees are advisory bodies to the school council and assist council in all the work that needs to be done. They report regularly at school council meetings and provide advice and make recommendations to the school council, which has the final responsibility for decisions. Sub-committees are open to non school council members and therefore provide opportunities to involve many people in the school who are not members of school council.
Structure of sub-committees
• Each sub-committee has a nominated convenor who is usually a school council member
• All school councillors should be involved in at least one sub-committee
• Sub-committees are open to non school council members
• Sub-committees usually meet between regular school council meetings. This gives them time to look at what has been happening in their particular area of responsibility and consider any action or follow-up that needs to be taken.
Role of sub-committee convenors
The role of the sub-committee convenor is to:
• Be the chairperson for that sub-committee and report to the full school council at the next scheduled meeting
• Ensure a written report with recommendations is provided to the principal to be included in the school council notes prior the next school council meeting
• Ensure implementation of approved recommendations are monitored
• Encourage participation from the school community and co-opt parent members or local community members when required.
Seaford Park Primary School Council comprises a group of dedicated staff and parents who are working together for the 'big picture' future of the school and ultimately our students.
Councillors collaborate to ensure high quality governance of our school and monitor finance, facilities and school policy.
There are three sub-committees: Finance, Marketing and Promotions and Buildings and Grounds. We also have a very active Parents Club which organise social and fundraising events throughout the year.
School Council ensures that these integral areas of the school are running smoothly and that the best possible learning environments and resources are provided for Seaford Park Primary School students.
2015/2016 School Council Members are:
Julie Braakhuis - School Principal
Melanie French - School Vice Principal
Geoff Triplow - Teacher
Jane Bennett - Teacher
Sandra Love - President
Karen Tate - Vice President
Cherie Skilbeck - Secretary